Left Charleston, WV Day 6 June 20th
It's the summer solstice or the "longest day". Of course this is the double meaning. I did this ride to raise awareness and funds for the Alzheimer's Association and in honor of my late Wife Chris and all the caregivers and families facing this disease. With lots of helmet time, I thought about all the people I know that are facing this disease. I reached out to some during my ride with a quick message of encouragement, and to let them know I am thinking about them. This is my final day that will have me riding into DC. Excited for this day!!
Nice slightly cool morning and clear roads!!
One of the things that I have been aware of is elevation. Out west I started at sea level, the up across Oregon and Idaho and Wyoming was the high points at 6-7,000 then down into 600-700 feet in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky. The west Virginia got up into 2,000 feet….
In the middle of WV… a toll road. (I miss Colombia where motors ride around the toll plaza!)
Then onto Virginia.
I get a Text message from a friend…. Hey Mark, thinking Ill ride down to meet you in DC. What time are you arriving?
This community of motorcycle riders is awesome. How many places will someone, text you and then ride 180 + Miles to meet you, then turn around and ride home. Wanting to connect and support the ride!! Who is it….. Wait and see.
Just 100 Miles from DC, still in wide open farm lands.
It's a hot day in the 90's as I roll onto toward DC.
Hey Hey first view of the Monuments!!
Inside the beltway!!
Riding past the Rayburn building where I will be meeting Congressman Kurt Schrader!! Will thank him for his support and encourage him to keep helping to increase funding, work with his fellow lawmakers to make this a national priority.
And Arriving in front of the Capitol Building
My phone is ringing when I arrive about an opportunity to do a TV interview on Tuesday after my congressional building
And look who's waiting for me! MoBill I last saw Bill while we were riding in India back in 2013!
He rides 180+ miles from his home in NJ to greeting and support me! He is wearing a Longest Day shirt!! Amazing ! Thanks MoBill!!!
We ride up on the curb to have a place in the shade near the Lincoln Memorial. And take a break!!
WOW… Feels great to make it to my destination, with purpose and to be greeted by an old friend!! Feeling the Love!
And I made my goals as well!! THANK YOU all for the support for this cause and all the donations!! WOW!! Hopefully a few more will roll in as the day progresses!
I am staying in DC with another ADVrider family! So great to put into a place, see riding friends, sharing a meal, and catching up!
It's Tuesday Morning, and I am finishing my ride report, few other posts and then off to Capitol hill for my meetings! Also have a TV interview set up for later.
- Recap of my ride around the world. 2011-2013 August 23, 2016
- June 25th Last day of the “longest day” fundraising ride June 29, 2016
- Riding westward Arkansas to NM June 23, 2016
- June 21st. “Radioman goes to Washington” to continue to fight for Alzheimer’s June 22, 2016
- June 20th The Longest Day. Riding for Alzheimer’s !! Reaching Goals!! June 21, 2016
- June 19th Day 5 riding for Alzheimer’s June 20, 2016
- June 18th Day 4 Riding for Alzheimers June 20, 2016
- Day 3 June 17th Riding for Alzheimer’s June 19, 2016
- June 16th Day 2 Schrader to Schrader Motorcycle ride across America for Alzheimer’s June 18, 2016
- JUNE 15th DAY 1 of “the Longest day” Motorcycle ride across America for Alzheimer’s – Schrader to Schrader June 16, 2016
- The Longest Day…. Schrader to Schrader Cross country motorcycle ride for Alzheimer’s Association June 13, 2016
- The Longest day motorcycle ride for Alzheimer’s Association May 12, 2016
- RADIOMAN RODE THE WORLD! June 2011 to Dec 2013 April 11, 2014
- Advocating for Alzheimer’s Disease April 10, 2014
- 1st US presentation has happened. January 19, 2014
August 2019 M T W T F S S « Aug 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- August 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
Go to Horizons Unlimited, the website that's all about motorcycle travel. Travellers Community, Bike Travel information on the Bulletin Board, free Monthly Motorcycle Travel E-zine, Travellers' Stories, and plenty of tips and info!